THE ART OF BEING INDISPENSABLE AT WORK
Win Influence, Beat Overcommitment, and Get the Right Things Done
Everyone at work is collaborating with lots more people than ever before. Not just those working alongside them, but all over the organization chart—up, down, sideways, and diagonal. The truth is, everyone wants to be able to depend on each other and deliver for each other. Most everybody wants to be an indispensable go-to person at work. But nobody can do everything for everybody.
Navigating collaborative relationships is not going away. And doing that job very, very well is how true go-to people, in the real world, win real influence, beat overcommitment, and get the right things done. That’s the art of being—more or less—indispensable at work.
Now more than ever, it takes extra savvy and skill to manage yourself, your many working relationships, and all the competing demands on your time and talent. But it’s not just about when to say “no”, it’s about how to say “yes”—a service mindset.
In this program, Bruce draws on decades of research, sharing true stories from real people, in real workplaces, in the real world, blending humor, insight, and concrete best-practices to show participants how to apply the fundamentals of go-to-ism to become a truly indispensable, Go-to Person at work.
Participants Will Learn:
- How to identify overcommitment syndrome and siege mentality—what most identify as burnout
- The peculiar mathematics of false influence v. real influence
- The fundamentals of Go-to-ism: the proven techniques used by real Go-to People in today’s complex work environment
- How to align—up, down, and sideways—and lead from wherever you are on the organization chart
Techniques and Best Practices for:
- Adopting a service mindset that boosts your reputation at work, rather than damage it
- When to say "no" and how to say "yes"
- Professionalizing everything you do by identifying what you want to be known for, then mastering best practices and repeatable solutions
- Executing one thing at a time
- Utilizing to-do lists and schedules to break work into doable chunks and find gaps for focused execution time
- Building an upward spiral of real influence
- Finding and building up Go-to People, when and where you need them